|Location obtained:||Initial (Historic District)|
The Lightning Bolt is a basic power in InFamous. Cole MacGrath can discharge simple lightning bolts from his hands. They are fairly strong, as they can defeat enemies and blow up cars easily. This is Cole's main power and is one of the most used powers in the game. It consumes no energy in InFamous but does consume a small amount in InFamous 2. Each upgrade in InFamous increases its strength, as well as granting various other improvements that differ with Good and Evil Karma.
The Lightning Bolt is Cole's primary attack, and, along with melee, does not consume energy in InFamous. It does have several uses:
- The Lightning Bolt can be used against almost any enemy with devastating effect, though some enemies may be shielded against it.
- With Good Karma, the lightning bolt will restore energy and health while with Evil Karma, it causes more destruction through electrical explosions. Some objects, like fences, can block a lightning bolt.
- With the Lightning Bolt, the player can recharge already consumed electrical devices, allowing Cole to restore more energy. This does not work in powered down areas.
- It can also be used to charge trash cans, dumpsters, metal guard rails, metal benches, metal poles, dead bodies, and even certain NPCs who have some importance to the story, like Zeke for example, and all small metal objects for an energy source. This is useful in powered down areas.
|Rank||Good karma||Evil karma|
|Guardian/Thug||400 xp||"Righteous Blow- Restores a moderate amount of energy each time you successfully hit an enemy."||400 xp||"Sadistic Blow- Defeated enemies have a chance of triggering an electric explosion before dying."|
|Champion/Outlaw||2900 xp||"Righteous Shot- Head shots chain electricity to nearby enemies."||2900 xp||"Sadistic Shot- Increases the radius of the electric explosion."|
|Hero/Infamous||12000 xp||"Righteous Strike- Restores a significant amount of energy each time you hit an enemy. Head shots also restore health."||12000 xp||"Sadistic Strike- Head shots automatically trigger an electric explosion."|
At the Hero level upgrade, shooting enemies will restore energy. Headshots will restore health and will chain electricity to nearby enemies. This attack is ideal, so that the player doesn't harm the pedestrians or cause any collateral damage at all.
At the Infamous level upgrade, shooting enemies will not restore energy but will cause major destruction. Defeating enemies will sometimes cause them to explode, while a headshot will cause the explosion immediately. The more you upgrade, the greater the radius of the explosion.
- The final upgrades (either Good or Evil Karma) are the most expensive upgrades throughout the game by at least double.
- Rather than there being one single "Lightning Bolt" power, inFamous 2 features Bolts as a class of powers, with Cole able to swap between different kinds of Bolts on the fly.
- The Magnum Bolt in inFamous 2 seems to resemble the original Lightning Bolt of the first game, but with a lower rate of fire.
- The Magnum Bolt retains the same speed as the original Lightning Bolt in Festival of Blood.
- In the beginning of inFamous 2 while fighting the Beast, the lightning bolts Cole fires are equivalent in every way to rockets.