|Location obtained:||Initial (Historic District)|
The Lightning Bolt is the most basic attack power in InFamous.
Cole MacGrath can discharge simple lightning bolts from his hands. They are fairly strong, as they can defeat enemies and blow up cars easily. This is Cole's primary attack power and is one of the most used powers in the game due to its lack of consumption of energy.
|Rank||Good karma||Evil karma|
|Guardian/Thug||400 xp||"Righteous Blow- Restores a moderate amount of energy each time you successfully hit an enemy."||400 xp||"Sadistic Blow- Defeated enemies have a chance of triggering an electric explosion before dying."|
|Champion/Outlaw||2900 xp||"Righteous Shot- Head shots chain electricity to nearby enemies."||2900 xp||"Sadistic Shot- Increases the radius of the electric explosion."|
|Hero/Infamous||12000 xp||"Righteous Strike- Restores a significant amount of energy each time you hit an enemy. Head shots also restore health."||12000 xp||"Sadistic Strike- Head shots automatically trigger an electric explosion."|
The Guardian rank upgrade allows Cole to regain a moderate amount of lost energy each time he hits an enemy with a lightning bolt. The Champion rank ability allows Cole to chain the electricity from the lightning bolt used on one enemy to others nearby, though this is only successful when Cole strikes the enemy's head. The Hero rank upgrade further increases the energy gained from landing successful hits on enemies, as well as allowing Cole to regain some of his health each time he strikes an enemy's head.
The Thug rank upgrade allows Cole to have a chance of triggering an electric explosion through the body of an enemy he has just defeated. The Outlaw rank upgrade increase the radius of the explosion, allowing it to hit more people and objects. The Infamous rank upgrade causes each strike that Cole lands on an enemy's head to immediately trigger an electric explosion.
- Rather than there being one single "Lightning Bolt" power, inFamous 2 features Bolts as a class of powers, with Cole able to swap between different kinds of Bolts on the fly.
- The Hero and Infamous rank upgrades for the Lighting Bolt are the most costly upgrades in both inFamous and inFamous 2.
- The Magnum Bolt in inFamous 2 seems to resemble the original Lightning Bolt of the first game, but with a lower rate of fire.
- The Magnum Bolt retains the same speed as the original Lightning Bolt in Festival of Blood.
- In the beginning of inFamous 2 while fighting the Beast, the lightning bolts Cole fires are equivalent in every way to rockets.