Blast Cores were parts of the Ray Sphere prototype's core, after its detonation. They had a strong connection to Conduits, who could absorb the Blast Core and gain new powers and abilities. The Blast Cores were also the source of energy for the Ray Field Inhibitor, although a Conduit who had absorbed enough Blast Cores could use their energy to power the RFI as well.
The Blast Cores were discovered by accident, according to Dr. Sebastian Wolfe. Wolfe was looking for ways to refine the expended Ray Sphere Cores that appears after a Ray Sphere Blast occurs, in hopes of re-using them for later use. One of his test subjects got too close to a sample of the Core and absorbed it. Afterwards, the subject showed new Conduit abilities.Bertrand then had set to utilize the Cores as a way to gain new powers, though Wolfe himself had some kept for safekeeping. After Bertrand had ordered Wolfe's termination, several of the Blast Cores were scattered all over the city, and some were picked up by several individuals. Meeting Cole MacGrath, Wolfe would then explain that he had to obtain and absorb all the Blast Cores in order to activate the RFI.
UsageEditThe Blast Cores are only usable by Conduits. If an electrical current strong enough passes through the crystal, the nearest Conduit will absorb the Ray Field Energy, resulting in the Conduit obtaining new powers. They are surrounded by a constant purple glow and, when used, the Conduit's body radiates purple light before rendering them unconscious for a short period of time.
Powers gained from Blast CoresEdit
- Kinetic Pulse (gained after subduing several Militia at the Rebel Outpost)
- Ionic Vortex (gained from Nix)
- Improved Static Thrusters, Car Jump, and Precision (gained from St. Charles Cemetery)
- Cryokinesis or Pyrokinesis (gained through Power Transfer Device)
- Rockets (gained from Zeke through Laroche)
- Lightning Tether (gained from Bertrand's warehouse)
- Ionic Storm (gained from the Vermaak 88's main base)
Bertrand used at least one blast core, its location unknown, to gain his power to mutate other humans into the Corrupted. Since this is the only other power he exhibits that isn't related to becoming the behemoth, this may be the only blast core he was able to use for himself.
- In the intro cinematic to inFamous 2, Kuo shows Cole a file on the Ray Sphere, which includes a memo which says "Blast Core is the Key!!" and features a sketch of the RFI.
- In InFamous 2, Nix and the Vermakk 88 general were both conduits who at one point possessed blast cores but did not gain powers from them.